Applications | Slurries & Mud
Slurries and Mud
Slurries and Mud containing hard solids not greater than 3 mm (1/8”) are frequently best pumped by a positive displacement (PD) pump.
View our page about the 13 Advantages of PD pumps as listed by the Hydraulic Institute.
Typical applications include:
- Bentonite slurry walls
- Drilling fluids
- Slurries for Ceramics
- Epoxy, glue, paste and adhesives.
Here is a quick review of the reasons why knowledgeable users invest in our pumps for slurries and mud :
- Can provide a constant flow at pressures up to 150 PSI or constant pressure at different flow rates.
- Low fluid shear
- Can pump a mixture of air and fluid successfully.
- Are generally much more energy efficient than centrifugal pumps because of the low amount of slip.
- Superior for pumping sludge, mud and thick fluids.
- Can handle abrasives well because of slow speed and because lobes do not touch after a short break in period.
- Can run dry for a period of time because seals are oil cooled and lobes do not touch
- Flow is near pulseless because of the helix lobe design.
- Can self prime up to 25 ft depending on the fluid. Slurries and Mud frequently clog auto priming mechanism.
Generally speaking if you need one or more of the above advantages in your application we recommend discussing your application with our engineers.
Request a quote from our Engineers today!
Our team is standing by to review your application.